A new and exciting opportunity has arisen in the expanding West Ham United Women Team for a Sports Psychologist. To develop and implement a Sports Psychology programme for coaches and players to support performance excellence in an elite high performance environment. The candiate will also be expected to support the ongoing implementation of evidence based practice within the women team, providing insights and intervention strategies that support player development and performance excellence, providing a supportive and confidential sport psychology service.
At West Ham United Women our goal is to be competing at the highest level of Women football. We will provide a performance centre strategy that encompasses the Club wide philosophy for players to develop within a comprehensive and professionalised environment.
As West Ham United Women Sports Psychologist you will be fully supported in building sustainable success. Starting with the creation of a winning culture, where as a team we will develop players into international footballers competing at the highest level of the women game.
* Be in attendance at all training sessions and matches played throughout the season and pre-season.
* Deliver a psychological framework to ensure that players are equipped to thrive and receive the intervention and psychological support they need to achieve their performance potential, working in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team and external agencies where relevant.
* Work collaboratively with the General Manager and First team Manager to integrate the performance psychology programme into the player development curriculum and Coach Competency Framework.
* Develop technical coaches and the multi-disciplinary team so that they are equipped to access and administer the psychological support provision in order to achieve their coaching and performance potential.
* Work collaboratively with Safeguarding & Welfare to provide holistic support and develop suitable workshops for personal development.
* Design and deliver a season long parent CPD programme to aid the support of Academy players.
* Support players to develop a range of self-management skills and strategies to manage psychological issues linked to performance; managing performance in a high pressure environment; developing resilience and mental toughness including mistake management, poor injuries and de-selection; proactively managing anxiety; using reflective practice and positively managing transition.
* Develop interventions to create and sustain individual and team confidence and motivation to build and sustain performance and competitive edge.
* Equip and enable coaches and the multi-disciplinary team to recognise and respond to concerns in relation to mental health.
* Undertake psychological profiling of all players in the youth and professional development phases, reporting focus areas to the placer and multi disciplinary team, to enhance player wellbeing, development and performance.
* Any other reasonable duties.
* Perform duties with due regard to club policies and procedures and legislative requirements at all times;
* Ensure implementation of the clubs health & safety, safeguarding, welfare and equality policies to create a safe working environment for all;
* Ensure working practices are compliant with relevant legislation and data protection legislation and/or general data protection regulations (GDPR) requirements;
* Undertake continuous professional development (CPD) training and/or additional training as identified or as required.
The ideal candidate will have skills and experience in the following areas: -
* Honours degree in Sports Psychology or related discipline
* British Psychological Society Accreditation at Stage 2/BASES accredited in Sport Psychology or ability to attain in agreed timeframe
* HCPC registered or already training towards HCPC registration.
* MSc in Psychology/Sports Psychology or related
* Safeguarding qualification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE*
* Experience of working in a competitive sporting environment
* Knowledge of a range of psychological therapies
* Knowledge of safeguarding processes and procedures
* Naturally collaborative, with the ability to to work well in a multi-disciplinary environment
* Resilient and passonate, able to sustain performance under pressure and flexible to work evenings and weekends.
* Experience working as an applied psychologist in an elite sports environment at an academic or youth level.
* Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team setting
* To ensure that all departments are provided within an anti-discriminatory framework and take account of such issues as race, gender, sexuality, disability, religion and age.
* To carry out work in a manner which promotes equality of opportunity for both staff and clients.
We are committed to the principle of equality and equal opportunities in employment and have been accredited with the being Disability Confident Committed. We will actively promote equality and equal opportunities in our business to ensure that individuals receive treatment that is fair and equitable and consistent with their relevant aptitudes, potential skills and abilities. Employees will be recruited and selected, promoted and trained on the basis of objective criteria.
West Ham United FC is committed to equality and safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Positions that involve working with such groups are subject to safer recruitment protocols, including DBS Disclosure at enhanced level.