Aberdeen Football Club is a high-profile institution in the North East of Scotland with an impressive heritage of domestic and international achievements since the Club was established in 1903.
AFC is an ambitious organisation looking towards further success and long-term sustainability in support of our football team by adding value across every area of our day to day business for the overall benefit of our staff, supporters and clients.
We have vacancies for Volunteer Youth Academy Scouts. The role will involve working with lead youth academy scouts, learning the use of the computer package known as ‘The Football Squad’, attending grading days, school and boy’s club matches and learning how to scout youth football players of academy standard, and any other scouting related work to benefit the club and individual. You will also be required to attend 6 weekly scout team meetings.
Overall Purpose of Job:
To work alongside and assist AFC Youth Academy Lead scouts, attend football matches and AFC grading days within the designated geographical area and identify young players who have the quality to play for Aberdeen Football Club's Youth Academy squads.
Main Responsibilities/Description of Duties:
• To learn from and be mentored by Lead scouts in the role that has been undertaken.
• To work as a member of the Scouting Network in identifying players for the Youth Academy.
• To be responsible for assisting in identifying and reporting on the most talented young players in their designated area of work.
• To develop a network of contacts in youth football in order to maximize your knowledge of players and ensure the Academy has a working knowledge of all talented young players at Soccer 4s, Soccer 7’s, Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, Young Highland League, Junior players and Juvenile clubs.
• To attend a six-weekly scouting meeting with the Head of Academy Recruitment and the other scouts and to prepare in advance of those meetings updates of all scouting activity .
• To project a professional image, always maintain an ambassadorial role for the Club and Youth Academy, ensuring you adhere to the Club and Academies policies and protocols, specifically in relation to the recruitment of young players and to ensure that the 'best-inclass' reputation of the AFC Youth Academy remains intact.
• To learn and be trained on the Sports Office Recruitment programme and maintain accurate and detailed records of all matches attended and players scouted on the database.
• To attend Child Protection training as required by the Club and adhere to all guidelines contained within the Club's Child & Protected Adult & Coach Protection Policy.
• To cover matches as directed by and agreed with the Head of Academy Recruitment.
• To attend Youth Academy training and team matches periodically and as directed by the Head of Academy Recruitment (minimum of 8 games per season) to maintain a knowledge of the minimum standards of players required to improve the Youth Academy playing squads.
• To be in regular contact with the Head of Academy Recruitment and your dedicated Lead Scout (Mentor) in relation to attending football fixtures.
• To assist the Lead scout where possible with the organization of a minimum of two player detection days on a seasonal basis, designed to involve significant numbers of young player invitees and to ensure all clubs and schools within their local area are aware of and submit recommendations for them.
• To learn from the Lead Scout the process of ensuring that all players recommended for a period of trial and assessment have completed both an AFC Player Information and AFC Parental Consent form prior to the commencement of any training period.
• To attend all AFC and Youth Academy in-service days as required (conducted at convenient times either in evenings or at weekends).
• To action any request whatsoever by the Head of Academy Recruitment in relation to the volunteer scouting role.
Person Specification: Experience/Qualifications/Training/Personal Qualities
• Exceptionally High levels of communication skills, both orally and written. Can engage tactfully and diplomatically at ease.
• Ability to assess the correct traits that differentiate a potential Academy player from a boys’ club player.
• Knowledge of local Juvenile football club and players.
• Experience of working within the football industry, in particular within youth age levels.
• Valid driver’s licence.
• Computer skills (Word/ Excel/ Access).
• Personable and enthusiastic with a strong work ethic.
• Excellent team player who can work on own initiative.
• Willingness to work weekends and in the evening.
• Desire to be ambassador for AFC in public role.
• Sensitive to the needs of young players, parents/guardians and parent clubs.
• Satisfactory PVG Certificate.
• Previous Scouting experience.
• Previous coaching experience of Youth football.
• SFA Talent ID Pathway qualifications.
This role would require 6 hours of volunteering work per week, mainly at weekends.
Application deadline: Monday 26th July 2021.