An exciting part-time opportunity has arisen within the Portsmouth FC academy medical department for a hard-working individual who is passionate about developing high level young athletes.
Working within a well-respected Category 3 academy, the chosen applicant will work alongside the Lead Academy Physiotherapist and other part-time therapists to provide excellent evidence-based care to the young footballers in the academy.
This will include providing medical services to the schoolboys and pitch side cover to the schoolboy teams on matchdays.
The successful applicant will be responsible for providing pitch-side cover for training sessions and matches in the schoolboy programme.
There may be opportunity for the successful individual to assist on Saturdays with pitch-side cover and assist in treatment clinics for the U9-16s in the evenings.
This is an ideal role for a qualified sports therapist or physiotherapist looking to gain experience in a young elite footballing environment. The successful applicant will also receive CPD as part of the departmental programme.
Pay is £35 per training/clinic session and £45 per match. Reporting to: Lead Academy Physiotherapist
Main duties will include:
- Liaising with the Lead Academy Physiotherapist in order to optimise assessment and treatment of academy schoolboy players.
- Liaising effectively with the coaching staff in order to keep them informed on player availability.
- Assisting with prehab and rehab within the academy from U9-16s.
- Assisting in evening clinics to effectively and efficiently assess and treat injuries from the U9-16 age groups.
- Provide pitch-side trauma cover during training sessions and matches.
- Keep the PMA updated regarding players’ injuries and rehabilitation sessions.
- BSc Physiotherapy/Sport Therapy
- HCPC membership if physiotherapist
- CSP/SST membership
- Pitch side trauma certificate (eg, ITMMiF or similar- financial assistance available to be discussed at interview)
Skills and experience:
- Experience in assessing and rehabilitating sports injuries
- Ability to encourage and manage young footballers
- Full driving licence
- Flexibility around working hours
- Up to date CPD - Computer literacy
- Experience of paediatric assessment and treatment
- An understanding of the demands of a professional sport environment
- Experience of working pitch side in sport, preferably football (desirable)
- Experience of using PMA system (desirable)
- Commitment and strong work ethic
- Genuine team player