The Canadian Soccer Business (CSB) represents a suite of top-tier national corporate
partnerships and media rights assets that are core to the sport of soccer in Canada. This
includes Canada Soccer’s National Teams, along with all rights and operations associated with the Canadian Premier League (CPL). The CPL is Canada’s Tier 1 domestic men’s professional soccer league playing in the global FIFA ecosystem of competitions currently operating 8 clubs in cities coast to coast.
The Senior Director, Communications plays a key role in driving CSB/CPL communications
efforts across Canada, creating content and experiences that help the league reach new
audiences. To succeed in your role, you’ll need to have a passion for sport and storytelling. The individual should also be proactive, creative, and solutions oriented. Good judgement and a thorough understanding of the media landscape are essential.
As a key member of the CSB/CPL Leadership Team, the individual will work closely with
Communications peers across all cities, and as part of the CPL integrated marketing team. The individual will also contribute to global, national and regional media moments, as well as support, media train and staff CSP/CPL spokespeople when appropriate. You should be
comfortable partnering and cultivating key relationships and work well in a cross-functional
and cross-geographical matrix of organizational structure.
At CPL, the Communications function establishes and strengthens authentic connections with supporters around the nation. We are focused on premium and innovative brand stories. The role requires a candidate who has a thorough foundation in writing, editing, and content creation. You should have experience developing communications across multiple platforms, including print, web, audio, video, mobile, and social media.
We run fast at CSB/CPL, and to get to your goal you need to be a self-starter drive, bright and energetic with the following key skills:
STRATEGIC VISION & STRATEGY
• Set the strategic vision, communications strategy and story focus to position CSB/CPL as the leading sport/lifestyle brand in Canada.
• Serve the youth of the cities and drive both hyper local and city impact storytelling.
• Deliver seasonal plans that will drive awareness, inspiration and support the cities plans.
CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS & ISSUES MANAGEMENT:
• Set the strategic role of communications within the business for the leadership team and lead issues management.
• Work closely with corporate, internal and cities teams to drive storytelling, and manage and elevate key issues with senior leadership.
• Ensure key relationships with stakeholders (internal and external) are in place to best manage issues as and when they arise.
• Build and drive a strong relationship with the ownership teams across all cities.
CREATIVE & DIGITAL MINDSET & STORYTELLING:
• Drive creative, mobile first solutions and platforms to take our storytelling to new and unexpected places that connect with our supporters.
• Be a social and media newsmaker and have strong, creative ideas that can elevate storytelling in key cities and beyond.
• Be an instigator and driver of relentless and aggressive media and influencer relations programs to build further scope and scale of our storytelling.
• Drive impactful narratives that fully integrate storytelling and commerce to drive brand influence and impact.
• Build deep relationships with the most influential agenda setting media, influencer communities and youth of Canada.
• Lead an integrated communications strategy to amplify our brand storytelling and corporate narrative internally and externally.
• Serve as a senior leader within the organization to influence and provide strategic counsel across the business.
• Develop creative solutions that take our storytelling into new places, experiences and inspire the youth.
• Drive a communications directive/playbook that fully serves and supports solutions across CSB/CPL business.
• Ability to interpret emerging trends and connect CPL to high profile opportunities, partners and collaborators to drive brand distinction across the country.
• Drive a mobile first and platform driven approach to storytelling and create a culture of curiosity within the team and the broader business to drive business and brand impact.
• Build and inspire a highly motivated team that’s passion about sports, culture and results orientated.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Key message development.
• Media relations and brand communications.
• Influencer management.
• Media training.
• Leverage announcements with in-depth (or feature) stories.
• Network with media and influencers.
• Develop League crisis management playbook.
• Identify unique storytelling moments.
• Develop media/influencer list (outside of sports).
• Create social media guidelines for clubs, coaches and players.
• Develop media / social media profile for CPL Commissioner.
• Facilitate media networking meetings with key media partners to drive feature stories,
brand profiles and announcements.
• Gather target editor intel to build custom, personalized seeding programs.
• Cultivate media relationships and ensure ongoing conversations with editors in key
• Develop media tours (regional and national) based on spokespersons travel schedules.
• Consistently research possible media opportunities/outlets and identifying
new/relevant media outlets.
• Serve as clearinghouse, facilitating incoming PR inquiries.
• Provide counsel on media focused programs/opportunities to strengthen engagement
• CSB/CPL requires a full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, subject to
exception under applicable law
• Travel is required for this role
• A passion for the game of soccer in Canada would be considered an asset
Please apply with a cover letter and CV and submit your application to the attention of VP,
Media and Content to email@example.com
We’ll hire the right candidate when we meet them.
Canadian Premier League is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applications in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.