MLS Academy, Assistant Coach
National Soccer Development Centre (UBC), Vancouver, BC
Director of Methodology, Director of Academy Operations
The Whitecaps FC mission is To Unite and Inspire Our Communities. We are looking for a new team member to join Vancouver Whitecaps FC in the position of MLS Academy, Assistant Coach.
The MLS Academy, Assistant Coach will be responsible for working closely with the U19 and U16 Head Coaches to provide on and off field leadership and general coaching support for the U19 and U16 Academy teams, while supporting and upholding the overall club methodology and four pillars.
In addition to team-specific work, this position will also assist with the development and deliver of individual development plans for the Academy’s high potential players.
U16 + U19 MLS Academy Teams
· Planning & preparation
o Assist with the design, and implementation of, an annual training plan (ATP)
o Assist with the design of team/individual training sessions
o Assist with technical aspects of the match-day planning
· On-field session delivery
o Attend all training sessions, games and competitions
o Travel with the Academy team to all away matches (as required)
o Provide on-field support for all on-field activities (HPP, individual, unit, team…)
o Assist or lead other age groups sessions (as required)
· Player Evaluations & Meetings
o Support the U19 and U16 Head Coaches with planning and delivery of individual, unit, and team meetings
o Assist the preparation of written evaluations for all U19 and U16 players during scheduled evaluation periods
o Attend and support the delivery of all player evaluation meetings
· Performance Analysis & Administration
o Support the Head Coach to deliver all the video analysis needs of the players & team
o Support the Head Coach with the following:
§ Design and support of individual development plans,
§ Session tracking (attendance),
§ Training session logging via SSP,
§ Creation of age-specific best practice libraries (SSP),
§ Formal match/player-analysis,
· Player Recruiting & Scouting
o Assist with Academy scouting at scheduled scouting events:
§ Local BCSPL & BC Provincial Program events,
§ Academy Centre visits,
§ National tournaments/events,
o File scouting (trialist) reports as required
High Potential Player (HPP)
· Prepare and deliver on-field HPP training sessions to select players
· Manage HPP player IDP’s and meet with players on a regular basis to track progress and adjust IDP’s as required
· Observe and evaluate HPP players in match play and provide feedback on performance related to IDP’s
· Provide coaching support for the MLS Academy
· Provide general support to the MLS Academy technical staff team
Club & Meeting Commitments
· Attend scheduled staff meetings by members of the Whitecaps FC management team.
· Attend special meetings for program related issues as required and scheduled
Community and Club Representation
· Attend public appearances required by the WFC including, but not limited to:
· Promotional and Sponsorship engagements
· Media/Press conference(s)
· Community events
· Whitecaps FC hosted events
· Represent the Club in the soccer community, with emphasis on building rapport with community clubs.
In addition to bringing a commitment to Vancouver Whitecaps FC vision and values, the ideal candidate will require degrees of demonstrated experience as follows:
· Must hold a minimum of a Canada Soccer ‘A’ License, or equivalent
· Post-Secondary degree in coaching, teaching, or sport-related program is an asset
· Must have at least five (5) years coaching experience in a youth high performance environment with preference given to those who have worked in Provincial and/or National programs, and/or with professional clubs
· A demonstrated passion for coaching and teaching
· Ability to build a team environment that is positive, inclusive, supportive, and inspiring
· Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to implement a challenging and progressive learning environment
Excellent verbal and written communication skills:
Effective listener, with the ability to build strong internal and external relationships at all levels.
Effective communicator with players and ability to provide candid and constructive feedback
High initiative levels, with the ability to work well independently as well as collaborate within a strong team environment (including remotely).
· Must be proficient with the MS Office software suite
· Proficiency with video analysis tools and training session software platforms is an asset
· Must complete a Vulnerable Sector Check and additional background screening
· Must successfully complete MLS Safe Sport training
· Must possess a passport and be able to freely travel internationally
· The chance to work in a fun, non-traditional workplace that truly cares about people and communities
· First class facilities at the National Soccer Development Centre
· Training and support available to help develop your career
· A generous extended health and dental plan
· Heavily discounted game day tickets
· Become involved with Vancouver’s most exciting sporting environment
Whitecaps FC believes that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This includes but is not limited to people of color, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
No recruiters or agencies, please.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Pay: From $50,000.00 per year
Monday to Friday
Do you have experience working in Provincial and/or National programs, College/University programs, or with professional clubs?
Youth high performance environment: 5 years (required)
Canada Soccer National B, Youth, or equivalent License (required) If you feel you have what it takes to contribute to our team, please email your resume and cover letter indicating how you meet our qualifications, to email@example.com with the position title as the subject line.