Lead First Team Analyst
Derby County Football Club, established in 1884, is one of the founder members of the English Football League and has a rich and varied history, including two First Division titles in 1972 and 1975 and an FA Cup success in 1946. The club are currently playing in League One, the third tier of English Football, and is under the management of Head Coach, Paul Warne. The club also boasts a successful and respected Category One Academy, a status which has been held since 2014. Derby County is embarking on an exciting new era following the change in ownership to Clowes Developments (UK) Limited. Our track record of producing talent is outstanding, and we intend to protect that proud legacy, investing in key roles within the club to build on the foundations in place for success.
Derby County Football Club is looking to recruit a passionate and motivated individual with clear attention to detail to join the First Team Performance Analysis department as Lead First Team Analyst.
The successful candidate will lead, manage, and coordinate the First Team Performance Analysis department.
Previous experience working in a performance analyst role within a football environment at an elite level is essential to ensure timely quality analysis through video and data, monitoring and tracking performance. The successful candidate will support the development of the integrated club-wide approach to providing data-driven insights for performance evaluation, player recruitment, sports science and medicine.
· Lead the First Team Analysis department to ensure the First Team analysis requirements are fulfilled along with any additional directives given by the First Team Coaching Staff
· Ensure the First Team coaching staff, support staff and players are supported with the appropriate resources to aid performance.
· To ensure the First Team Analysis department provides opposition analysis and communicates insights to the relevant coaching staff and support with the creation of detailed analysis reports/presentations to facilitate game plan and game review.
· Ensure filming and analysis of individual and team performances of the First Team are always available and performed to the best standard.
· Confidently provide coaches and players with feedback within key analysis opportunities and always be prepared for these interactions.
· Work in conjunction with coaches and direct reports to build presentations for game/individual performance reviews (statistical and video)
· Be responsible for maintaining an up-to-date database of appropriate matches and events.
· Be well-established in producing motivational and educational videos using DCFC and best-practice footage.
· Sharing of relevant video, data and other resources with all key stakeholders (e.g. staff and players) where applicable using a variety of different platforms
· Build performance profiles using databasing and statistical reporting techniques.
· Provide coaches and players with trend analysis information to advance the identification and interpretation of player performance profiles.
· Build strong relationships with the Recruitment team to assist in the recognition of appropriate future player signings.
· Work closely with the Academy Lead Analyst to ensure consistency and alignment between the First Team and the Academy.
· Be able to effectively lead and manage direct reports to get the best out of people for the benefit of the organisation.
· Undertake and complete performance reviews with direct reports.
· Has the ability to ‘get the best out of people’.
· Understand the importance of togetherness and recognise the skills needed to promote teamwork.
· Undertake available training courses and research to enhance personal knowledge, skills, and experience.
· Keeping up to date with the available software and equipment that are valuable in developing better analysis provisions.
· There is an expectation to use all available resources, including the latest research, and to collaborate with a thriving network of external clinical specialists and University links.
· To attend briefings, courses, and seminars, as able or as required by the club and commit to undertake Continued Professional Development
· Keep abreast of current research and the latest developments in Sports Analysis practice and suggest ideas to assist with continuous improvement accordingly.
Personal characteristics and experience:
· Experience working in a performance analysis role within the football environment at an elite level and/or experience coaching elite players.
· Experience of being a Head of Performance Analysis in either an elite First Team or Academy setting, with line management responsibility.
· Experience in the manipulation of performance data sets and visualisations is desirable.
· Experienced user of software such as, but not limited to Piero/Hudl/Sportscode /Studio/Wyscout/StatsBomb, with demonstrable knowledge of other performance analysis software.
· Advanced coding & visualisation ability such as R/ Python/ XML/ XSLT / Power BI.
· Demonstrable extensive technical & tactical football knowledge with the ability to contextualise the knowledge for player-facing material is desirable.
· Excellent IT skills (Mac and PC) and knowledge of databases, SQL and reporting capabilities, and working with raw data files such as XML & CSV
· Robust skills and knowledge of videography, coding, data analytics and animating
· Excellent people management skills
· Undergraduate qualification in an appropriate discipline (E.g. Performance Analysis, Sports Science)
· Postgraduate qualification in an appropriate discipline (E.g. Performance Analysis, Sports Science)
· UEFA recognised coaching qualification or overseas equivalent (e.g. B Licence)
This a full-time role, and due to the demands of professional football, there is a requirement for weekend and evening work and regular national travel.
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience.
Everything we do as a Club is built around the three pillars of stability, integrity and progress. Our core values are:
· We are proud of who we are and what we do
· We are positive, inspired and passionate
· We are ambitious and driven
· We are prepared, honest and humble
· We are the heartbeat of our community
· We are the club of opportunity
Derby County employee benefits include:
· 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
· Two complimentary staff season tickets
· Two complimentary staff away memberships
· 20% discount at DCFC Megastore
· Company Pension with Aviva
· Discounts with select Club partners and sponsors
· Healthshield Cash Health Plan to support employee health and well-being and Perks for great deals and discounts
· Participating in our employee forum, ‘The Herd’
· Training and development opportunities
· Access to programmes and volunteering opportunities with Derby County Community Trust
· Subsidised meals at Moor Farm
Derby County Football Club is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
As part of the Club's commitment to providing a safe environment for children and young people, applicants should be aware that this post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Criminal Record Check.
Derby County Football Club is an Inclusive Club for all and is committed to Equality and Diversity.
To apply for this role, please complete an application form, which can be found HERE.
Alternatively, please copy and paste - http://thera.ms/apply - to your chosen browser.
More information can be found at https://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/jobsandcareers
The closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday 31 December 2023. We reserve the right to close the vacancy early.
Strictly no agencies please.