Leicester City in the Community has a fantastic opportunity for an Inspires Mentor to join our dynamic team on a fixed-term basis.
Who we are
Leicestershire is made up of vibrant, ambitious and resilient communities. Leicester City in the Community support these groups, and the people within them, through exciting programmes with a passionate and dedicated team at its core. We aim to Engage, Inspire and Empower through Togetherness, Respect and Pride, changing lives and transforming communities.
About the role
The ‘Inspires Programme’ is a targeted programme delivered in secondary schools in and around Leicestershire.
The purpose of Inspires is to work with young people who have been identified to be at risk of becoming disengaged.
Using a range of innovative interventions, Inspire Mentors work within schools to develop and increase confidence, motivation, aspirations and attendance.
The aim of the role is to work alongside identified young people who require additional support within mainstream education, particularly those who have become disengaged for a variety of reasons.
You will have a genuine interest in working with young people who may:
- Be underachieving or have low aspirations, low confidence and self-esteem and poor wellbeing.
- Display challenging behaviours.
- Have poor engagement/attendance at school.
- Find accessing mainstream education challenging.
This role is a term time only position.
- To identify and assess KS3 and KS4 students who have low confidence and self-esteem and provide targeted and personalised intervention.
- Through 1:1 support and small group sessions, ability to identify barriers to learning and create extra-curricular opportunities to re-engage young people with mainstream education.
- To work alongside outside agencies to create and offer well-rounded support designed to improve identified issues.
- To develop and deliver high quality resources and sessions.
Who we’re looking for
If you are passionate about supporting young people to reach their potential, are creative in your approach and are an excellent communicator we want to hear from you.
Skills required for success:
- Ability to empower and engage young people to overcome potential barriers to education with the ability to gain their trust while building and establishing relationships over time.
- Experience of creating strong and appropriate relationships, with internal and external partners.
- Ability to encourage, motivate and enthuse young people to participate, promoting positive attitudes towards education.
- Ability to work on own initiative, providing alternative learning opportunities for young people.
- Significant experience of working with young people from different backgrounds and educational settings.
- Experience working within an educational setting preferably with an understanding of KS3 and KS4 National Curriculum requirements.
- Must satisfy relevant pre-employment checks including enhanced DBS check.
- Ability to travel regularly across multiple sites.
Contract Type – 12 month fixed-term – term time only.
Hours Per Week – 37.5, you may be required to work outside of normal office hours, at evenings and weekends.
Location – LCitC is based at King Power Stadium, Leicester. The delivery of sessions with take place at partner schools and some aspects of the role will require homeworking, therefore you will need the ability to travel across multiple sites across Leicester and Charnwood.
Leicester City in the Community is an equal opportunities employer and we positively welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Leicester City in the Community is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. As such, you may be subject to a satisfactory enhanced disclosure via the Disclosure & Barring Service and prior to taking up any role.
A shortlist of suitable applicants will be compiled shortly after the closing date and successful candidates will be contacted about the interview process.
If you feel you have the qualities and experience we are looking for please apply by sending and an application form, along with a covering letter, by email to email@example.com.
View the full job description here.
Closing Date – Sunday 1 August, 2021