Full Job Description
****Please visit https://www.trentu.ca/humanresources/employment-opportunities/non-academic-positions to apply for this job. Applications submitted directly via job boards will not be accepted.****
Trent Excalibur student-athletes have competed in interuniversity competition for over 50 years. The 40+ coaches and 300 student-athletes are dedicated to the pursuit of excellence both athletically and academically. Trent has produced many Academic All-Canadian Athletes who have attained an average of
80% or higher while participating in sport.
There are twelve Excalibur high performance sport programs competing in the OUA – Women’s and Men’s Volleyball; Women’s and Men’s Soccer; Women’s and Men’s Rugby; Women’s and Men’s Rowing; Women and Men’s Curling; Women’s Lacrosse; and competing in CUFLA – Men’s Lacrosse.
The Trent Excalibur Women’s Soccer Varsity Head Coach, reporting to the High Performance Varsity
Sports Coordinator and the Assistant Director, Sport & Student Engagement will join an athletics program that is committed to student-athlete development as well as coach leadership and development. Trent
Athletics is dedicated to sport programs and culture that are positive and supportive on and off the field of play.
This position is responsible for providing exemplary leadership to the Women’s Soccer program. This is established through the coaching, recruitment, retention, and ongoing student-athlete support required to form and lead a competitive and successful team, while equally promoting academic success for the student-athletes.
This position establishes and maintains the level of professional relationships that support exceptional collaboration with stakeholders including students, parents, faculty, and the community. This is a high- volume position that works under pressure in a fast-paced environment, multi-tasking to meet competing deadlines.
It is also a high-profile position and is very visible and influential in the University and within the OUA and
USports. Potential candidates must recognize the responsibility that comes with this role and ensure that their conduct reflects positively on Trent University, the Athletics & Recreation Department and the
Excalibur team as a whole.
1. Coach and lead a competitive high-performance program.
2. Develop and execute a short- and long-term plan for recruitment and retention of skilled and academically qualified student-athletes to the Women’s Soccer program.
3. Develop an annual program plan and communicate this to the Athletics & Recreation Department.
4. Plan and implement player training and evaluation methods that are current and individualized.
5. Provide appropriate awareness and concern for student-athletes academic performance and provide direction for assistance when and where needed.
6. Steward team financial fundraising accounts including the development of a five-year budget plan and the management of team and related accounts, monitor expenditures and develop appropriate reporting tools. Ensure all processes align with and adhere to Trent University policies.
7. Collaborate with the High Performance Varsity Sports Coordinator and Assistant Director, Sport & Student Engagement on the development of donor and sponsor engagement opportunities.
8. Select, coordinate, and manage Assistant coaches, staff or volunteers that support the Women’s Soccer program.
9. Support and act in accordance with the strategic direction and initiatives of Athletics & Recreation Department and Trent University.
10. Monitor and administer facility and equipment needs for the program.
11. Work with the Athletics & Recreation Department to ensure liability and risks associated with the Women’s Soccer program are managed effectively.
12. Maintain high personal standards of behaviour and conduct to serve as a role model and mentor, that support the Trent Excalibur Code of Conduct, the OUA Code of Conduct and the Universal Code of Conduct to Prevent and Address Maltreatment in Sport.
13. Serve as a leader and valuable resource person within the profession and within the sport.
14. Collaborate with other coaches and staff in support of the overall mission and strategic direction of Trent Athletics & Recreation Department.
1. Experience: Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in soccer, preferably at the College, University, Junior or professional level.
2. NCCP Level 2 or equivalent experience preferred. Provincial and/or national coaching experience is a desirable asset.
1. Ability to lead, grow and motivate a high-performance team.
2. Superior ability to develop and maintain respectful, supportive, and collaborative relationships with others whether as a peer or as a coach.
3. Strong appreciation for understanding of, and sensitivity towards the needs of a diverse body of students and student-athletes.
4. Exceptional communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation.
5. Ability to establish medium to long-term goals and vision.
6. Ability to work effectively within a team environment.
7. Demonstrated ability on multiple projects with competing demands to meet deadlines.
8. Budget planning and management.
9. Strong creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
10. The ability to mentor, motivate, and develop the potential of student-athletes in the context of competitive sport, while fostering positive work and learning environments will be critical.
11. Ability to recognize and support student-athletes based on individual needs.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is compensated through a small stipend in line with our compensation structure for non-full time coaches.
Closing Date for Applications:
Wednesday, November 30, 2022; 4:00 p.m.
Trent University is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive campus community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Trent University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes.
While Trent Athletics & Recreation Department appreciates all applications, only those applicants considered for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Part-time
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 2022-11-30