An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced candidate to join the Safeguarding Team at Millwall Football Club in the role of Designated Safeguarding Officer. The purpose of the role is to charter the Club’s safeguarding strategy within the Academy & Club, aligning Academy & Club safeguarding practices with
the safeguarding arrangements in football, Keeping Children Safe in Education 2021, and other relevant
statutory and regulatory guidelines.
This is an excellent role for someone with a high degree of professionalism and integrity, with a proven track record of managing High-pressure environments.
The ideal candidate will have a strong safeguarding and / or pastoral experience with demonstrable evidence
of leading and implementing change. Additionally, candidates should have experience of undertaking care assessment processes and knowledge of working within a professional sports environment is desirable.
The role includes, but is not limited to:
• Contribute to the delivery of safeguarding audit recommendations
• Drive risk management across the club to mitigate Organisational and reputational risk
• Promote a culture of inclusivity, accountability and transparency in safeguarding and wellbeing throughout the club
• Represent the Club at networking forums and meetings, eg. FA, EFL and Local Partners
• Ensure safeguarding concerns are acted upon appropriately and outcomes are monitored to evaluate lessons learnt
• Produce accurate safeguarding reports for club internal processes
• Ensure that all procedures surrounding the management, security and sharing of safeguarding information are adhered to
• Ensure compliance with Data Protection Principles (GDPR) in relation to all safeguarding information
• Lead on any investigation/management of Academy / Club Safeguarding concerns and co-ordinate multi-disciplinary responses
• Actively work to prevent poor practice, abuse and discrimination across the club
• Develop education resources for the relevant staff to keep informed of safeguarding learning
• Support and lead the wider DSO Club network
• Ensure the club meets all requirements in relation to Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) and the required renewals.
• Deliver the Club’s Care and Accommodation strategy including developing placements,
care plans, assessments and preparing annual reviews
• To help develop a strong listening culture and to consult with Players, Parents/Carers, Staff to enrich
the Academy experience
• Work with HR to ensure all new starters undergo correct checks and inductions required to adhere to
the Clubs Safer Recruitment Policy
Previous Safeguarding experience
• Proven collaborator
• Ability to communicate in a group, team or family situation
• Ability to conduct meaningful one to one meetings
• Comfortable in discussions with senior staff including directors
• Good listener
• Able to deliver clear and transparent messaging
• Driven and self-motivated and able to inspire and drive others
• Structured and diligent in areas of administration and operations
• Meticulous in record keeping with attention to detail
• Able to work unsupervised with the ability to manage time effectively
Hours of work:
You will be required to work hours that meet the needs of the business. The post holder will be required to work some evenings and weekends to meet the demands of an elite sport environment.
To apply, please complete the application form along with your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Due to the quantity of applicants expected, only those short-listed will be notified.
Closing date for applications: 26th October 2022, 5pm.
This document is a guide only and should not be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of changing needs of the organisation. All employees may be required to undertake any other duties as may be reasonably requested.
Millwall Football Club are fully committed to equality, diversity, inclusion and anti-discrimination. We will work to address areas of under-representation and disadvantage in all aspects of our operations, activities and services. In practice, this means that we will respect the needs of each and every individual regardless of their differences; and to this end we will deliver our operations, activities and services in such a way so as to ensure that that no one is excluded.
‘Millwall FC is committed to safeguarding children and adults at risk. The successful candidate may be required to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check through The FA DBS process. The possession of a criminal record will not necessarily prevent an applicant from obtaining this post, as all cases are judged individually according to the nature of the role and information given.'