Wigan Athletic Community Trust is recruiting a community support worker to work with young people in targeted areas of West Lancashire area across two evenings per week. The successful candidate will engage groups of participants referred onto programmes as well as do outreach youth work to engage those who need the support.
Initially on a 6-hour per week contract, the successful candidate will gain experience of youth work and help positively change the lives of the young people in the targeted areas of work, with the opportunity for more hours if desired.
You will work with colleagues to deliver activities and be a positive role model to young people.
• Do outreach and detached youth work in the heart of communities within the West Lancashire borough, engaging young people and signposting to positive activities.
• Engage young people in a relaxed and friendly manner across two evenings per week.
• Work with individuals and groups of young people aged 11-17 years old to achieve outcomes for participants.
• Support young people and signpost to other relevant colleagues/partners where applicable.
• Deliver activities to small groups of young people and individuals where appropriate.
• Monitor activities in-line with funders requirements including weekly registers and evaluation forms completion.
You will be:
• Passionate to enhance life chances of young people.
• Willing to work with hard-to-reach young people in a youth work setting to achieve successful outcomes.
• Resilient and confident to approach young people in community settings.
• Engaging and positive towards young people.
• Able to advise young people on basic life choices in a non-judgemental manner.
• Creative in your ways of engaging those who may be ‘hard to reach’.
Wigan Athletic Community Trust is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment and its employment policies for recruitment are designed to ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
The Company is committed to safeguarding all children, young people and adults at risk involved in its activities and events. The Company recognises its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of these vulnerable groups by a commitment to procedures to protect them. The Company expects all staff and volunteers to fully support and promote these commitments.