About the role
Newport County AFC Academy are looking to recruit a part time sports therapist/physiotherapist/rehab therapist to support medical matchday provision across the academy. The main functions of the role are to provide medical cover for Academy fixtures and contribute to the assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of all Academy players.
Title: Academy Sports Therapist
Department: Academy Sports Science and Medicine Department
Location: Newport County AFC Academy, Lliswerry High School, Nash Road, NP19 4RP
Type of Role: Part-time (Match-Day Cover)
Accountable to: Academy Manager, Academy Head of Medical, Senior Physiotherapist
Reports to: Academy Manager, Academy Head of Medical, Senior Physiotherapist
Salary: Sessional Rates for Home and Away Fixtures
General Club Accountabilities
· To ensure compliance with all relevant club policies including health, safety, and safeguarding policies.
· To ensure compliance with all relevant legal, regulatory, ethical and social requirements including EPPP.
· To build and maintain good working relationships both internally and externally, and maintain professional image at all times when representing Newport County Football AFC.
· To keep confidential any information gained regarding the Club and its personnel.
· To cover and support Academy matchday fixtures
· To support medical staff in the assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of Academy Players
· To report directly to the Head Academy Physiotherapist.
The role will be located at Newport County AFC Academy, Lliswerry High School, Nash Road, Newport, NP19 4RP but will involve travel to NCAFC Academy’s fixtures.
• Intermediate Trauma Medical Management in Football (ITMMiF) or equivalent Pitch side qualification:
· RFL Immediate Medical Management on the Field of Play (IMMoFP)
· RFU Pre Hospital Immediate Care in Sport (PHICIS)
· Medical Cardiac Pitch Side Skills (SCRUMCAPS)
Note: The above qualification is mandatory - unfortunately applicants without such qualification cannot be considered for the role.
- Candidates must be flexible and be willing to work hours as necessary to carry out their duties. This may include the covering matches and changing of venues at short notice.
- Candidate will need to perform duties at home match and away match venues.
• An understanding of using PMA.
• Experience in an elite sports environment, especially with children and adolescents.
• A full UK drivers’ licence and access to your own vehicle would be advantageous.
Newport County AFC is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to endorse this commitment.
This post requires Enhanced Criminal Records Checks and may include checks against the Barred Lists, as such it is exempt from Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974). Therefore all convictions including spent convictions that have not been subject to filtering by the DBS should be declared”. Relevant information and / or documents will be distributed as part of the recruitment process.
The English Football League has introduced positive action measures aimed at tackling the under- representation of coaches and managers from Black, Asian and Minority Ethic (BAME) backgrounds. New regulations require clubs to shortlist at least one suitably qualified BAME candidate (where an application has been received) for all roles in Academy football that require a UEFA A or UEFA B License. As part of the application process, you will therefore be asked to declare your ethnicity.
E D I Statement
Newport County AFC Academy is committed to providing services which embrace diversity and that promote equality of opportunity.
To apply: send a CV by email to
Candidates where applicable, will be interviewed as applications are received. The vacancy will be withdrawn when the ideal candidate has been identified.